Another one of my favourite memories as a child was when my mother or grandmother or even great-grandmother would make golden syrup dumplings.
1 cup of self-raising flour
1 tablespoon of butter
1 egg, whisked
2 tablespoons of golden syrup
1 cup of sugar (ouch!) 😛
1 2/3 cup of water
thickened cream or ice cream or even custard
1. Rub butter into flour until combined.
2. In a large pot, add golden syrup, sugar and water, dissolve and bring to boil slowly.
3. Add whisked egg to flour and a dash of milk so that the mixture forms a tacky and sticky dough.
4. Carefully add spoonfuls of the dough to the hot syrup mixture making sure that the dumplings are not crammed in, and turn the heat down to a gentle soft simmer.
5. Cover and simmer for about 5-10minutes until they have nearly doubled in size and are fluffy on the inside.
6. Serve immediately with custard, cream or ice cream.