Not sure where I got this recipe, but it’s so goooood!
**Pre-heat oven to 180*C
– 50g of plain flour
– 5 tablespoons of cocoa powder
– 100g of caster sugar
– 5 large egg whites
– 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
– 340g sweet dark cherries, pitted and halved
– 1 tablespoon of icing sugar
– 3 tablespoons thickened cream, to serve (ice cream works too)
1. Sift flour, cocoa powder and half the caster sugar into a large bowl. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, gradually adding the rest of the sugar and vanilla essence, and continue beating until the egg whites become glossy and form stiff peaks.
2. Sprinkle the flour mixture onto the eggs, and fold gently with a metal spoon.
3. Spoon mixture into a lined cake tin and sprinkle cherries on top, and bake for 30minutes, until cake has risen but is soft to the touch.
4. When cooled, dust with icing sugar and serve with cream or ice cream.
– Serves 6+