I was once living in a share house with about 6 other people. Whenever I wanted to cook dinner for the house it was hard because everyone liked different things. For example the two Irishmen ate nothing but meat. And the girls usually ate everything. Then the other man in the house only ate certain veggies. 😦 What a dilemma! So I thought pizzas were the way to go, then I thought that may have been boring, so I tried this… And it worked magnificently! 😀 Everyone loved it. And its super easy too. I let everyone create their own.
**Pre-heat oven to 190*C
– 3 cups of plain flour
– 2 teaspoons of yeast
– 1 1/4 cups of water
– olive oil
1. Combine flour and yeast in a large bowl. Add a pinch of salt. Make a well in the centre and add the water and oil.
2. Use a wooden spoon and combine well, then use your hands to bring it all together to form a dough.
3. On a lightly floured bench top knead the dough until smooth (5min).
4. On the inside of another large bowl, lightly brush it with olive oil. Put the dough into the bowl and cover with cling film, and put in a cool place for an hour, or until it has doubled in size.
5. When removing the dough, put it on the bench and punch it as hard as you can 😀 Then knead it until it returns to about roughly the same size as when you started.
6. Divide into 6 equal portions and cover with cling film.
7. Roll out each portion into an oval-oblong shape, and place your filling on one half of the dough making sure there is about 1-2cm border.
8. Lightly brush the border with a little water and pinch and fold the edges inwards.
9. Brush each calzone with oil and place on a tray covered with grease-proof paper.
10. Bake for 30 minutes until golden
– Serves 6+ – You can put any filling you usually have on a pizza in these. My fave is mozzarella cheese, basil and sun-dried tomatoes. Experiment! Have some fun!