These are great sugar cookies, they make shapes so well and they are so simple to make too.
– 125g butter, at room temperature
– 1/2 cup caster sugar
– 1/4 cup milk
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
– 1/2 cup custard powder
– silver and gold sparkling cachous, to decorate
1. Line a tray with grease-proof paper.
2. Use an electric beater to beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Beat in milk and vanilla extract. Fold in the flour and custard powder.
3. Press the dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to rest.
4. Divide the dough into manageable portions. Roll out one portion on a sheet of non-stick baking paper to about 1cm thick. Use Christmas cookie cutters to cut shapes and place on the trays. Decorate with cachous.
5. Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden. Cool for 5 minutes on the trays before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.