I do not like custard, but my lover adores it. I promised him ages ago that I would make him some and I did finally. He said it was awesome 🙂
**Pre-heat oven to 180*C
– 4 eggs
– 1-2 teaspoons of vanilla essence (I went all out and bought some pure vanilla bean paste, expensive but its amazing)
– 1/2 cup of caster sugar
– 2 1/2 cups of milk
1. Lightly oil 4 ramekin dishes. Heat the milk in a small saucepan over a medium heat until it nearly boils.
2. Whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla until the sugar has dissolved. Whisking constantly, gradually add the hot milk. But try not to whisk to hard otherwise you will end up with a foam ontop of your custard.
3. Pour custard into oiled ramekins and sprinkle with nutmeg.
4. Fold a clean tea towel in quarters, and place it in a large oven-proof dish. Stand the dishes on the tea towel and pour in enough boiling water to come up half way up the side of the ramekins.
5. Depending on how you like your custard… 20 minuted will give you runny custard and an nearly an hour will give you a jelly-like baked custard. The later is the one my partner prefers. Serve hot, warm or chilled.
Serves 4. For a custard tart, only make half the custard and extend the baking time to 30 – 40minutes until set. Cool and cut into wedges.