WARNING :: Wickedly Indulgent!!
*Pre-heat oven to 170*C
– 3 eggs, beaten
– 160g of butter
– 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla bean paste, or 2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
– 1 cup of water
– 2 1/2 cups of self-raising flour
– 3/4 cup of cocoa powder
– 1 1/2 cups of caster sugar
– 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
1. Grease and line a round cake tin with grease-proof paper.
2. Sift flour, cocoa powder and bi-carb into a large bowl. Stir in sugar until combined.
3. In a small saucepan, add butter, vanilla and water. Heat until butter has melted.
4. Add this to the flour mixture and whisk until combined. Add the eggs and mix well. Be careful not to over beat or whisk otherwise the cake will not rise evenly 🙂
5. Pour mixture into prepared cake tin and bake for 50min or until a skewer or knife comes out clean. Remove from oven, remove the tin and place on a cooling rack to cool.
6. When the cake is cold, spread icing over the top.
Chocolate Ganache Icing
– 3/4 cup of thickened cream
– 200g of good quality dark chocolate – roughly chopped
1. Heat cream in a small saucepan over a medium-low heat.
2. When bubbles start to appear, remove from the heat and stir in chocolate pieces until melted, glossy and smooth.
3. Transfer to a bowl and stand at room temperature until it is the right consistency to spread upon your cake.