Great for one of those rainy days. So wholesome and delicious.
– 4 lamb shanks
– 2 cans of diced or crushed tomatoes
– 1/2 leek sliced finely, or a small onion diced finely
– 2 tablespoons of plain flour
– 1/2 – 3/4 cup of red wine
– 1 bay leaf
– 2+ cups of beef stock (depending on the size pot you use)
– 5 button mushrooms, quartered
– 1 carrot, sliced
– 2/3 cloves of garlic
– 3 tablespoons of parsley, chopped
1. Season lamb shanks with salt and pepper, and dust in flour. Then, on a medium heat brown all sides of the shanks. Then set aside.
2. In the same pan, soften onion and garlic.
3. In a large pot, bring to the boil tomatoes, stock and red wine. Turn the heat down to a gentle simmer and add lamb shanks, onion, 1 tablespoon of the parsley, the bay leaf and the carrot. Simmer for about 2hours, or until the meat nearly falls off the bone. Keep an eye on it and make sure the shanks are covered in liquid. Turn them over occasionally.
4. When ready to serve, take a portion of the saucey goodness out and thicken it a little to make a gravy like sauce. But not too thick.
5. Serve with parmesan mashed potatoes and steamed greens.
– Serves 4 🙂