I’m not too sure if you have noticed, but I am a huge fan of cheese and spinach anything. I love spinach and I adore cheese and I personally think they are a match made in heaven.
** Pre-heat oven to 190*C
– a large tub of ricotta cheese
– 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese
– parmesan cheese
– half a block of a good quality firm feta – I find Dodoni works perfectly.
– 1 onion, diced finely ( I put mine thru the food processor 😛 )
– 2 eggs
– 1 tablespoon of garlic
– 250g of frozen spinach (You could definitely use fresh spinach, but I always have frozen spinach in the freezer – ALSO make sure that you squeeze the excess water out of the spinach prior to use)
– 1/2 a packet of filo pastry
– 50g of melted butter
– poppy seeds
– sesame seeds
– salt and pepper
– olive oil
1. In a fry pan, sweat the onion and garlic in olive oil until it is just cooked. Put to the side and cool down.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine ricotta, one egg, and all cheeses. Mix well. Season well with salt and pepper.
3. Squeeze the excess water out of the spinach and add to cheese mix, mixing thoroughly. Add the onion once it has cooled down.
4. Lay down one piece of filo pastry, and brush with butter, lay another on top, and brush with butter again. Repeat this process until you have four layers of pastry. 1/3 of the way up the pastry spread 1/4 cup of spinach mix until halfway up the pastry sheet, making sure that there is an inch gap on either side. Fold in the sides and roll (don’t roll them too tight though otherwise they will break at the sides), baste one inch from the top with butter and roll. Do this until you have used all your spinach mix.
5. Whisk the leftover egg, and baste the top of each roll, twice. Sprinkle with poppy seeds, and sesame seeds, and chuck them in the oven and bake for about 20 – 30min.
* If you are making these for a party, just make them smaller 🙂