This is my twist on Luke Nguyens Vietnamese dish Ga Xao Xa Ot.
– 500g of thigh fillets, cut into bite sized pieces
– 3 tablespoons of a good quality fish sauce (I recommend Squid brand ;))
– 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
– 2 stalks of lemongrass, white part only, finely diced
– 4 cloves of garlic, crushed or finely diced
– 2 long red chilli, finely diced (if you don’t want a lot of heat, leave the seeds out)
– 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
– 1/2 onion, cut into wedges
– 1 cup of coconut juice
– 1/2 a punnet of cherry tomatoes, whole
– 1 spring onion, sliced finely for garnish
1. In a mixing bowl combine fish sauce and sugar, and whisk until the sugar has dissolved. Add half the lemongrass, chilli and garlic and all of the chicken. Coat all the chicken in the marinade, cover with cling film and refrigerate for an hour but even better if left over night 😀
2. Bring a large saucepan, frypan or wok to a medium heat. Add oil remaining lemongrass, chilli and garlic and fry until it gains a little bit of colour and extremely fragrant.
3. Turn the heat to high and add the chicken, and fry until chicken is just cooked.
4. Now add the coconut juice, tomatoes and onions and cover with the lid and cook on a medium heat for 5-10minutes, until the sauce has reduced by half.
5. Turn off the heat and add some lime juice until it has your prefered pizzazz or zing or even just serve with lime wedges.
Serves 4. Serve with jasmine rice 🙂