Sometimes when I am pressed for time, I find this recipe to be a winner. It’s quick, it’s easy and most of all it’s delicious – oh! and healthy!! 😀
– 4-6 button mushrooms
– 4 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
– 2 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
– 1 tablespoon of ginger, finely chopped
– 1 1/2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
– 2 teaspoons of honey
– 1 chicken breast, cut into large-ish pieces
– 4 spring onions, sliced finely
– 2 stalks of lemon grass, white parts only, cut into 2cm pieces
– 1 red Thai chilli, sliced finely – if you like it hot keep the seeds, if you like it mild, only use half the seeds 😉
– salt and pepper
– 1 cup of snow peas, beans, or canned corn spears – or all of the above
– small packet of rice vermicelli
1. Season the chicken pieces with plenty of salt and pepper and fry in a medium to hot pan, making sure that it is cooked all the way thru and has a wonderful golden colour. Remove from heat then shred with a fork.
2. Place stock, garlic, ginger, rice wine vinegar and honey in a heavy based saucepan – bring to a medium heat, always stirring, until gently simmering.
3. Add spring onions, lemon grass, chilli and mushrooms and continue to simmer for a further 20minutes.
4. Cook vermicelli according to instructions.
5. In the last five minutes add the chicken and vegetables of choice. Simmer for a further 3minutes. Remove lemon grass before serving. Add a small twirl of rice noodles to the bowl, and pour over soup. Enjoy hot!
Serves 3. Instead of chicken, why not add some green prawns or firm tofu ?? 😀