I came up with this recipe just a few moments ago AND I had a taste of the end result myself and it was pretty tasty. After it cooled down, I gave Little P a taste and he seemed to really enjoy it too, its very textural and creamy at the same time but I would probably reccommend this for 8mths and over as it is has chunky veggies in it.
– 1 carrot, julienned then diced
– 1/2 a large zucchini, julienned and diced
– 1 stalk of celery, diced finely
– 1 cob of sweet corn,
– 1e/2 onion, diced finely
– 1/2 – 3/4 of a cup of arborio rice
– 1 clove of garlic
– 1L of homemade vegetable stock or chicken stock (you can use storebought, but sometimes they can contain a lot of salt, preservatives and nasties so therefore I am reluctant to use these, unless they are MSG free and salt reduced – but check the labels)
– 1/2 a knob of butter
1. Put the corn in a pot and cover with water. Bring to the boil, and cook for 10minutes. Remove from water and set aside to cool. Once the corn has cooled down, using a sharp knife, run the blade along the husk seperating the kernals from the cob itself. Put these in a bowl with the zucchini pieces and set aside for later use.
2. In a large pot add onion, celery, garlic, and carrot and fry on a medium heat. Try not to let the garlic burn though 😉
3. In a small saucepan, add the stock and bring to the boil. Once boiling, let it simmer away gently.
4. Once the onion has become translucent, add the rice and the knob of butter. Stir until the butter has melted and coated all the rice, then keep stirring and simmering away until the rice has started to go translucent also.
5. Now, add one ladel of hot stock. Once the rice has absorbed the first ladel of stock, add another and continue this until the rice is cooked – or until it is creamy and soft.
6. Stir thru zucchini and corn and gently simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
– This makes enough to comfortably fit 2 X 14 ice cube trays. Freezes well.
– If you find you need to add more stock, do so, all arborio rice is different 🙂