An all round all purpose sauce delicious on eggs, veggies, roast meats and fish 😀
– 3 egg yolks, but keep and freeze the whites 😀 no wastage!!
– 2 tablespoons of water
– 150g of UNSALTED softened butter, diced into cubes
– 1 1/2 lemon juice
– pinch of white pepper and salt
1. Create a bay marie of a small saucepan filled with two inches of water and a heat proof ceramic bowl. Bring the saucepan of water to the boil and turn it down to a low gentle simmer. Place the bowl on the saucepan, making sure that it is snuggly and not touching the water – this is essential, otherwise your sauce will over cook .
2. Remove the bowl and place the egg yolks and water into the bowl and place over the pot. Whisk the mixture constantly for 3 minutes or until it is thick and a creamy colour – like a custard.
3. Divide the butter into 4 parts. Add the butter one part at a time, whisking continuously making sure that it is completely combined. Repeat until all the butter is combined.
4. Remove the bowl from the heat immediately. Mix in lemon juice and salt and white pepper. Serve drizzled over meal.
– Makes enough for 4+ dishes. Traditionally served with eggs benedict, but also great with a poached egg and spears of asparagus. Yummm ! 😉