There are certain things I don’t agree with in life. Some of those are racism, war, apple pies and chicken in a pie. However I am subjected to disagree with this recipe. I hardly call it a pie. Its a dish with a pastry topper, until someone corrected me and told me it was called a ‘pot pie’. So, I came the realization that this recipe is an exception to the chicken in a pie rule.
** Pre-heat oven to 200*C
– 2 skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
– 1 leek, white part only, cut legthwise, then cut again into small semi-circles
– 1 handful (or about 1 cup) of button mushrooms, quartered
– 1 cup of sour cream
– 1 sprig of thyme
– 1 1/2 tablespoons of a really good quality dijon mustard
– 1 clove of garlic, smooshed, and roughly chopped
– 1 egg
– 1 tablespoon of milk
– thawed puff pastry sheets – depending on the size of your ramekins
– sesame and or poppy seeds
– salt and pepper
1. In hot frypan cook the chicken until golden brown. You may need to do this in batches. Transfer this to a bowl.
2. Using the same frypan, add oil, a knob of butter, garlic, leeks and mushrooms and saute until soft, stirring often. Turn the heat to low.
3. Add the chicken back to the pan. Now add the dijon, thyme and half the sour cream. Stir until thoroughly combined. Add half of the remaining sour cream – you are free to add all the sour cream, but it really depends on what consistency of sauce you would like.
4. Season well with salt and pepper then simmer on a low heat for 5minutes.
5. In a small bowl or mug, whisk the egg and milk until combined. Cut the pastry into quarters and lightly grease the rim of the ramekins. Fill the ramekins with the chicken mushroom mixture (making sure you get sauce too) and top with pastry squares.
6. Brush pastry toppers with eggwash, sprinkle lightly with poppy or sesame seeds and pop into the hot oven for 15minutes, or until the pastry is puffy and golden.
7. Set aside to cool for 5-10minutes so that the inside of the pies is not scalding then serve!
– Makes 4+ Any leftovers you have makes an excellent stir thru pasta sauce 😀 Or instead of chicken breasts, substitute it for shredded BBQ chicken (minus skin) and add more veggies