I had a bunch of silverbeet that was looking a bit sad in my fridge. I had planned on making Krys’ Silverbeet and Caramelized Onion Tart but because we were in Sydney, I didn’t get the chance. Now not knowing what to make, I came up with this beauty. It was super delish, simple and economic.. and I can’t wait to eat it tomorrow when it’s chilled.
* Pre-heat oven to 200*C
– 1/2 bunch of silverbeet, washed – leaved cut into chunks, stems sliced finely
– 500g of FRESH ricotta
– 2 eggs
– 4 rashers of short bacon (optional)
– 1 clove of garlic, diced finely
– 1/2 a lemon
– good pinch of nutmeg
– 1 brown onion, chopped roughly
– 1 block of fetta cheese, crumbled
– 3-4 sheets of good quality puff pastry, defrosted
– 3 tablespoons of ghee, or clarified butter
– sesame seeds
– poppy seeds
– salt and pepper
1. In a large pot add the bacon, garlic and onion. Fry lightly until the bacon just starts to get some colour. Add the shredded silverbeet and cook until the leaves are starting to wilt.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine eggs, nutmeg, ricotta, fetta and the juice from your lemon. Whisk until thoroughly combined. Season well with salt and pepper. Now pop in your silverbeet, mix well and make sure that the mixture is at an even consistency.
3. Using a pastry brush, coat the sides and bottom of a large long rectangular lasagna dish.. I have a pyrex one which is amazing.
4. Lay your pastry in – make sure that it covers the sides too. It doesn’t matter if it overlaps 🙂
5. Pour your mix in, spreading it evenly.
6. Fold over the excess pastry on top to cover it. Any gaps you can fill in with more pastry.
7. Brush the pastry with ghee or butter (or eggwash, what ever works for you)
8. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and poppy seeds and bake in the oven until golden and crisp.
– Makes 10 slices. Great cold or served warm with a side salad for dinner. If you are a vego remove the bacon. Or if you just want to shake things up a little.. Swap the onion for leek. Or the silverbeet for kale. Be Adventurous!! 😀