I have had copious amounts of zucchini lately. Wondering what to do, I recall my breakfast that I had at ‘Bills’ in Surry Hills, Sydney. So heres what I came up with.
– 1 small capsiucum, diced finely
– 1/2 onion, diced finely
– 2 spring onions, diced finely
– 1 cob of corn, kernals shaved off with a sharp knife – be careful
– 2 rashers of bacon, diced finely
– 3 medium-large sized zucchini, grated
– 3 eggs
– 1 block of reduced fat fetta cheese
– 1/2 cup of plain flour
– salt & pepper
– vegetable oil.
1. Grab handfuls of the zuchini and over your sink squeeze out as much liquid as you can. Repeat and put all zucchini in a large mixing bowl.
2. Crumble your fetta into the same bowl.
3. In a small frying pan, fry off bacon until just cooked, add corn, capsicum, onion and spring onions – cook for about 5 minutes. You want the veggies still a little firm but the onion cooked. Set aside to cool.
4. In a small mixing bowl whisk eggs and flour, season well with salt and pepper.
5. Pour your egg mixture and the veggie-bacon mixture into the large bowl and mix until combined.
6. Now grab a large skillet or frying pan, throw in some oil and leave to heat up to a medium heat.
7. Once the pan has heated up, (I like using my hands – clean hands that is – to measure amounts for this but you can use a spoon if you wish) grab about a 1/4 cup worth of fritter mix. Put in the pan, fry until golden on one side. I find it easier to shape them as you go, pressing down gently, then pushing un even sides in so that they cook evenly, they are easier to flip and they look much nicer 😉 I usually would do 4 fritters at a time in the pan.
8. Repeat until all your mixture is all gone.
– Makes 10. Chop and change the veggies as you wish! Carrot works well, as does mushrooms. Also these make really awesome quick veggie patties for burgers [minus the bacon] ❤