So, the majority of this recipe is thanks to the ever so famous Jamie Oliver, however I’ve added a few of my own twists, just to make it mine. I have always searched for the best roast potato. This works so well, and it even holds its crunch in the refrigerator.. (I hate it when I want leftover roast potatoes and meat for lunch and the ‘tatoes are all soft and weird).
** Pre-heat oven to 200*C
– 3 tablespoons of duck fat, melted (DON’T KNOCK IT TILL YOU TRY IT!) 😛
– 1/2 a lemon
– salt & pepper
– olive oil
– 1kg of potatoes, peeled and cut into even sized chunks
– 1 whole head of garlic
1. In a large heavy based saucepan, chuck in the potatoes, a heap of salt and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10-15minutes.
2. Using a colander, drain the potatoes, shaking and roughing them up as you go.
3. In a roasting tray, add the duck fat and evenly distribute all over the surface of the tray. Add your potatoes and season well with salt and pepper. Pop into the oven for 30minutes.
4. In a small bowl add your sprigs of thyme, zest of half your lemon, juice of the same lemon and a splash olive oil. Massage the herbs and zest making sure everything is coated. Remove your potatoes from the oven, turn each potato over carefully and using a potato smasher – squash the potatoes into the pan, not completely but just so you increase the surface area of the potato. More surface area reaching the bottom of your tray = crispier potatoes = WINNING !! 😀
5. Rub and lather the herb mixture all over your potatoes and return to the oven for a further 20minutes.
6. VOILA !! Amazing potatoes 😀