Sorry for the late post guys, I’ve been hell busy.
Last week we got into some pastry making. It was rad. I think I have finally found my calling. I feel totally comfortable in a kitchen wearing my whites. I am more confident about this course and myself more than ever. It’s a nice change.
So, last week we managed to make an assortment of choux pastry. For those who don’t know what that is, it’s the pastry that eclairs and profiteroles are made out of. And you know what? I am pretty proud of my end result. I will be making some more at home this weekend and hopefully they work.. haha. We made various types like paris breast, eclairs, cream puffs (profiteroles) and petit swans – and filled them with assorted flavoured diplomat creams (a mixture of custard and cream).
Later on in the week we also made a hazelnut short pastry to make various quiches. Leek and goats cheese, florentine and a caramelized onion type from memory. They were delicious. Even Parker liked them 😀
So, Things I learnt this week at college:
– Short pastry should be handled with love and care.
– If you eat too much diplomat cream you will feel incredibly ill.
– I should buy more piping nozzles as mine went mysteriously missing when making eclairs.
– I should also buy a roll of disposable piping bags as they seem like a great investment and are really handy.
– A clean chef is a good chef.
– Quiches were traditionally eaten on Friday due to Lent.
– Two good things come out of Switzerland – Gruyere and Chocolate! *quote
All in all, a productive week.
Stay Tuned Peeps.