I have an abundance of ripe tomatoes at the moment; truss, roma and normal table variety. I was planning on making chutney, but I was missing a few ingredients. As well as tomatoes I have heaps of vegetables that need to be used.. I’m thinking vegetarian pizza’s, with homemade pizza sauce.
– 4-6 large various tomatoes
– 1 large clove of garlic, grated
– 1 teaspoon of crushed chilli (optional)
– 1 small onion, diced
– 1/2 a teaspoon of dried basil
– 1/2 a teaspoon of dried oregano
– 1-2 teaspoons of a good quality balsamic vinegar
– 1 teaspoon of raw sugar
– olive oil
– salt and pepper
1. Fill a small saucepan with water and place on the stove to boil. Once the water has boiled, turn off the heat. Score the bottom of your tomatoes, in a cross pattern and place the tomatoes in the water and leave for 5 minutes.
2. Remove the tomatoes carefully with tongs, and leave to cool for a few minutes, until they are cool enough to handle. Carefully remove the skin off the tomatoes, and discard – then chop roughly.
3. In a small saucepan, saute onion and garlic until translucent and glassy. Add tomatoes, herbs, pepper, sugar, balsamic vinegar and simmer very gently until rich and thick (this could be anywhere from 40min – 1hr 30minutes).
4. You could puree the sauce if you like, but I like mine a little chunky.
5. Allow to cool before you spread on pizzas.
Makes 1 cups of sauce. There are so many things you could add to this sauce.. capsicum, capers, olives, mushrooms, speck, fresh herbs. Use in pasta, or parmigiana.