Tonight we had pizzas. I love pizza night. It gives me the opportunity to use up a lot of produce before my next shop. I make my own dough, sauce and use only fresh ingredients, it makes for a more fresher, tastier and more delicious pizza.
** Place pizza stone in the oven and crank the oven to 230-250*C
– 1 quantity of pizza dough
– 1 quantity of pizza sauce
– 2 zucchinis, sliced lengthways 3-4mm thick
– 1 spanish onion, sliced into half circles, relatively thin
– brown sugar
– red wine vinegar
– fetta cheese
– mozzerella cheese
– 1 length of spring onion, sliced finely (optional)
– olive oil
1. Place a griddle pan on high heat, brush with oil and leave for about 3-5minutes to heat up. Place strips of zucchini, two at a time on the griddle pan and cook until just soft, rotating to obtain cross-hatch grill marks. If you don’t have a griddle pan a fry pan will work just as fine, just make sure you get some char marks 🙂 Set aside.
2. In a small frypan, add oil, onions and a dash of red wine vinegar. Saute until just soft. Add some brown sugar and cook until the sugar syrup has turned into a toffee-like colour. Set aside.
3. Take half the pizza dough, roll out to desired shape size and thickness. Roll out onto pizza stone, and dress with some pizza sauce, cheese, zucchini, cheese and fetta. Bake in the oven for around 20minutes, or until the dough is cooked.
4. Carefully remove from the oven, dress with some spring onions and caramelized onion and slice into desired amount of slices.
5 Repeat steps 3+5 until finished.
Makes 2 pizzas.