Who doesn’t love a good risotto ? The key to a good risotto is a watchful (and loving eye) and hot stock. 😉
– 1 1/2 L of chicken or vegetable stock
– 2 rashers of bacon, finely chopped (optional)
– 1 small onion, finely chopped
– 1 clove of garlic
– 4 fresh large tomatoes, seeded and diced
– 10 semi sun-dried tomatoes, chopped roughly
– 450g of arborio rice
– 2 teaspoons of pesto, red or green (optional)
– 4 tablespoons of freshly grated parmesan or romano cheese, plus extra to serve
– splash of white wine plus a little extra to sip on.
– fresh basil leaves, shredded to garnish
– olive oil
– salt and pepper
1. In a pot bring the stock to the boil, then reduce the heat and keep it simmering gently over a low heat while you are cooking the risotto.
2. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil and a tablespoon of butter in a deep saucepan over a medium heat until the butter is melted. Add garlic, bacon, onion, fresh and semi dried tomatoes and cook until the onion is translucent. Stirring occasionally. Add your splash of white wine and simmer for 1minute.
3. Reduce the heat, and add the rice. Mix to coat in the oil and butter mix. Keep stirring constantly for 2-3minutes or until the grains of rice start to go translucent.
4. Gradually add the hot stock, ladleful at a time. Stir constantly and add more liquid as the rice absorbs it each time.
5. Cook until rice is creamy but firm to the bite (al dente styles).
6. Remove risotto from the heat and add a generous knob of butter + pesto. Stir in cheese until it melts. Season well with salt and pepper.
7. Spoon risotto onto plates and top with shredded basil and extra parmesan/romano cheese. Serve immediately.
– Serves 4-6 Chorizo would kick-ass in this!! As would shredded smoked chicken. With any leftovers, you could stuff capsicums, top with cheese and roast them for 30minutes – use these for a lite lunch served with a quick and easy salad