It was another no meat Monday in our house last night.. and all I could think about were the corn fritters I had eaten at Bills with Krys in Sydney. Luckily I found a recipe online… Crisis <averted>
– 6 cobs of corn, kernels shaved off
– 1/2 red capsicum, diced finely
– 1/2 cup of spring onions, sliced finely
– 1/2 cup of chopped parsley
– 2 eggs
– 1/2 cup of milk
– 1 cup of plain flour
– 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
– salt and pepper
– 1 ripe avocado
– chilli flakes
– extra spring onions
– lime juice
– 1 qty of pico de gallo
1. In a large mixing bowl combine capsicum, corn kernels and spring onions.
2. In another large mixing bowl whip up the fritter batter – sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda, add the milk and eggs, and whisk or mix until completely combined and there are no lumps.
3. Add 1 cup of the batter to the corn mixture, and stir well. You don’t want the veggies drenched in the batter, just coated. Season VERY well with salt and pepper.
4. Heat up a frying pan on a medium heat. Brush with oil and add heaped tablespoons of the mixture into the hot pan – I used a quarter cup measure so that mine were all the same size (worked a treat).
5. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Transfer to a plate.
6. Continue until all the fritter mixture is used.
7. When your last couple of fritters are cooking quickly whip up the guac — mash the avocado in a small bowl, add some chilli flakes, spring onions, a good cracking on salt and pepper and a decent amount of lime juice. Stir well and set aside ready for use.
8. To plate up, lay a couple of fritters down, and top generously with pico de gallo and guacamole. Can be served hot or cold 😀
– Makes 12 fritters, Serves 4. At Bills’ this was served aside bacon and roasted tomato 🙂 so yum.