Tonight I was wandering through my copy of Jamie Olivers, 30minute Meals. Using his method for spinach and fetta filo pie, I concocted my own recipe 🙂 It worked a treat.. the boys even had seconds. This recipe will only work if you have oven safe cookware 🙂
– 1 cup each of rocket and baby spinach, rinsed and drained well
– 10 pieces of sun-dried tomato, sliced length ways
– 3 eggs, whisked
– 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
– 1/4 cup of grated tasty cheese
– 1 block of fetta, crumbled
– 1 length of spring onion, sliced finely
– 1/2 a packet of filo pastry
– sesame seeds
– olive oil
– salt and pepper
1. Wilt the spinach and rocket in a moderately hot pan, remove to a bowl and set aside.
2. Add the crumbled fetta, sun-dried tomato, oregano, tasty cheese, spring onion and whisked eggs, stirring to fully combine. Season really well with salt and pepper.
3. Grab a decent length of greaseproof paper. Scrunch it up and run it under water.. Shake the excess water off and unravel. Lay it down on your bench and brush generously with olive oil.
4. Lay down pieces of filo down, making a large rectangle.. brush with oil and repeat covering with filo, brushing with oil between layers – for a better explaination of this process see here.
5. Carefully move the greaseproof paper to your frying pan. Press the bottom into the pan and pour in the mixture. Peel back the excess pastry from the paper and fold on top – don’t worry if it rips, rock rustic, perfection is boring ! Brush the top with oil, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
6. Crank the heat on the bottom of the pan to medium heat and fry until you start to hear the bottom sizzle.. then pop in the oven for 30minutes or until golden brown and crispy on top.
7. Serve hot or cold.
– Serves 4.