I am so sorry to all the people who I promised this recipe.. It’s been saved in my drafts for ages. Another no meat-monday has rolled around.. and I have goats cheese in the fridge.. and a pie crust in the freezer. This tart (or quiche) is so easy to make and only takes 5minutes to assemble + 10minutes to sweat some onions. Try it.. I think you will love it.. hot or cold.. and if you don’t – then I don’t think we can be friends.
Ingredients:- 1 shortcrust pastry base
– 3 whole eggs + 3 yolks
– 80g of goats cheese
– 1/4 cup of grated gruyere
– 2 medium sized spanish onions, sliced in thickish semi-circles
– dash of cream
– 1-2 tablespoon of firmly packed brown sugar
– 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
– 1 sprig of fresh thyme
– olive oil
1. In a glass jug, whisk the eggs + yolks, cream and thyme together until combined and homogenous. Season well with pepper.
2. In a fry pan, sweat off the onions in a drizzle of olive oil. Add your dash of vinegar and reduce for 5-10minutes. In the final stages, and when your onions are really soft add the sugar and caramelize – you may need to turn the heat up a little.
3. Blind bake your pastry for 10minutes. Remove from the oven, and place a layer of onion inside. Crumble on your goats cheese, and pour in the savoury custard, top with the gruyere and pop into the oven. Cook until just done – or until a skewer or knife comes out clean.
4. Serve with salad or buy itself.. cold or hot!