Mmmm Mayonnaise – goes on sandwiches, served with salad, great for dipping, great to use as a base for dips or dressings or even other specialty mayonnaise’s. Until I learned how to make my own mayo, I thought it was difficult, and now that I have my KitchenAid it’s even easier – and near fail-proof! *Warning* This recipe contains raw egg yolks!!
– 3 egg yolks
– 200ml of vegetable oil
– 100ml of a very good quality extra virgin olive oil
– 1 teaspoon of sugar (optional)
– 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar
– white pepper (to taste)
1. In a large mixing bowl combine on a medium speed the egg yolks, lemon juice/vinegar, sugar, and salt.
2. Pour both of your oils into a jug and continuing with a medium speed on your mixer, slowly drizzle your oils in. It’s really important that you add it steadily in a very thin stream otherwise it may not emulsify properly and you could end up with a split or curdled product!
3. Once all the oil has been emulsified into your mixture, taste and season accordingly with salt, pepper, lemon juice if needed.
4. Store covered in the fridge for up to 5days.
– Makes 1 1/2 cups. The possibilities with such a staple are endless.. You could turn this into Caesar dressing or Aoili, or maybe try my Lime and Wasabi Mayo. NOTE:- if the olive oil taste is too much for you, change the amounts for vegetable oil 🙂 This formula is according to my taste 😉 also, the below photo is of my lime wasabi mayo !!