There’s something special about potato bake.. My mum and dad make a really cheesey yummy potato bake.. One of my girlfriends makes a wicked pesto cream potato bake.. oh and potato bake at a BBQ.. ZOMG! Oh and potato bake the next day .. even better! You just can’t go wrong.
– 750g of red delicous potatoes, sliced 3-4mm thick – I like to leave the skin on, adds texture + nutrients
– 1 leek, sliced finely
– 2 rashers of streaky bacon, diced finely
– two good knobs of butter
– 1 clove of garlic, smooshed and diced finely
– 1 heaped tablespoon of good quality wholegrain mustard
– 1/4 cup of plain flour
– 1/2 cup of homemade chicken stock
– 150ml of thickened cream
– 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese
– 2-3 tablespoons of milk
– 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
– salt and pepper
– olive oil
1. In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, chicken stock, milk, cream and wholegrain mustard.
2. On a medium to low heat in a small saucepan sweat off the leeks with the garlic and knobs of butter, until soft and delicious.
2. Remove the leeks from the saucepan and add to your mixing bowl. Fry off bacon until just crisp and add to your bowl with the Parmesan cheese. Season well with pepper and mix until fully combined.
3. Throw your potatoes into a baking dish, pour over your mixture and smoosh around with your hands until you feel that the mixture is evenly distributed. Sprinkle with plenty of dried thyme and cover with foil.
4. Bake for 40+minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until cooked, or until you can poke through the potato with no or little resistance.
5. Serve hot or cold? aside your favourite main 🙂