Who has eaten cassoulet before? Ohmygoodness.. so rich, and flavoursome, such a great balance of flavours and very homely – and not really that cheap to make. Here’s my poor mans version, super easy, doesn’t take hours and really delicious..
– 8 lean good quality pork or beef sausages
– 2 rashers of streaky smoky bacon
– 1 onion, sliced
– 2 large cloves of garlic, smooshed and grated
– 1 large bottle of passata
– 4 sprigs of thyme
– 1 can of cannelini beans, drained and rinsed well
– 2 dried bayleaves
– 1/2 a punnet of cherry tomatoes
– 1/2 a teaspoon of smoked paprika
– finely chopped parsley for garnish.
1. In a hot saucepan or dutch oven like vessel, seal the sausages on all sides, making sure they are a beautiful golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Add the bacon and onion, cook for 2-3minutes then add the garlic. Stir well making sure not to burn the garlic. Next, add the thyme and bayleaves and pour in the passata. Add the paprika and stir well to combine.
3. Add the sausages back to the pot, and bring the sauce to a gentle simmer for approx 20minutes.
4. Add the beans and cherry tomatoes, stir well, and simmer for a further 10minutes uncovered.
5. Season well with salt and pepper + finely chopped parsley and serve hot, with mash, a green salad or with crusty bread.
-Serves 4. Traditionally, cassoulet is cooked in the oven, if you want, just after you chuck the sausages in, place in the oven topped with breadcrumbs and a little parmesan cheese 😀