For those that know me well, I really dislike corned beef – also called silverside depending on where you live in the world. I can’t really tell you why, because I don’t even really know. But my boys love it, and every blue moon I will make it for them.. they corned beef it for dinner, lunch and on sandwiches. It’s a classic, and really very versatile.
– 1 corned beef
– 2 medium sized brown onions, peeled and quartered
– 3 bay leaves
– 6 peppercorns
– 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
– 6 cloves
1. Place the beef in a large stock pot. Cover with cold water and add the apple cider vinegar, cloves, bay leaves, onion and peppercorns.
2. Put the pot on the stove on a medium to high heat and bring to the boil.
3. Turn the heat down to a gentle simmer for about 2hours, skimming the scum off inbetween.
4. Remove the beef from the pot and allow to cool slightly before slicing and serving.