Tomato sauce out of a bottle makes me gag, it’s too sweet, too salty and too red.. All kinds of nasties live in that bottle. I made this tonight to serve alongside my lamb and fetta sausage rolls 🙂 What a winner! Really easy and super delicious. And as an added bonus is completely clean 😉
– 500ml of organic passata
– 1 clove of garlic
– 2 chipolte peppers, diced, in adobo sauce (two tablespoons of the sauce as well)
– 1 small spanish onion, diced
– 1 tablespoon of butter
– 1 heaped teaspoon of firmly packed brown sugar *optional*
– good quality balsamic vinegar
1. In a small saucepan saute the onion and garlic in butter and a good dash of olive oil until soft and translucent.
2. Add passata, diced chipolte peppers, sugar and a good slurp of balsamic vinegar and simmer for 20-30minutes. Check for seasoning.
3. Serve warm 🙂
– If serving for children, don’t add the chipolte peppers and instead substitute 1/2 a teaspoon of smoked paprika, for that smokey, rich, spiced flavour. Also, I like my sauce chunky, kind of like a relish, but you can blend it and pass it through a sieve making it super smooth 🙂