A naughty breakfast treat!!
Smokey Bacon Sugar
– 250g of good quallity smokey streaky bacon, cut into thin strips
– 1 cup of caster sugar
– sprinkle of cinnamon
– 350g self raising flour
– 100g of bacon sugar
– 1 whole large egg + 2 egg whites
– 1 cup of milk
– 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla paste
1. To make the sugar, place the bacon and a tablespoon of neutral oil, like rice bran, canola, or vegetable oil in a small pot. Turn on the heat, and cook until crispy, making sure to stir it every now and then.
2. Remove the bacon, and place on paper towel to drain, being sure to keep the fat.
3. Once the bacon has cooled, add the sugar, cinnamon and bacon to a food processor, and blend until fine. Remove the sugar from the food processor and place in a large-ish bowl.
4. In the same food processor blend the eggs, whites, milk, vanilla and some of the bacon sugar.
5. Add this to the flour, and whisk well.
6. Turn on your deep fryer to 165*C.
7. Set up your frying section making sure that it is free from clutter, and you have room to move freely and safely. All you will need is the bowl with batter in it, a dessert spoon, a slotted metal spoon, the other bowl with bacon sugar and serving plates nearby.
8. Once your fryer has reached temperature, drop your basket carefully, and using your dessert spoon, scoop up enough to batter to fill 2/3 of the spoon. Get as close to the oil you can, and using the your finger in a one sweep motion drop the batter into the oil gently. Try to only fry 6-8 doughnuts at a time, depending on the size of your fryer. Cook until a beautiful deep golden brown colour.
9. Lift the basket up and remove from the fryer, place the doughnuts in the bacon sugar and shake around making sure they are all evenly coated.
10. Serve hot with REAL maple syrup, maybe some icecream, or salted caramel sauce.
– Makes about 30 doughnuts.