My hair suffers with the change of seasons.. and with the humidity and excruciating heat lately, my hair has become lifeless, frizzy, and just plain sad. I cannot remember the last time I had a hair treatment – professional or DIY, which is also pretty sad actually.
So I had a looksies in my pantry and inside my fridge and a few things caught my eye. Cue a few hours of research and I concocted this little beauty of a DIY recipe. Honestly, the simplest of things are often the greatest, and here is why:
- Yoghurt – contains lactic acid which helps cleanse and clear away dead skin cells; reduces hair fallout by nourishing the follicles with Vitamin D and VitaminB5; nourishes with natural milk fats and proteins.
- Coconut Oil – contains essential fatty acids which help remove sebum build up and help remove dandruff as well as nourishing the scalp with all that gorgeous fat.
- EVOO – contains monounsaturated fatty acids, anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory agents which aid in conditioning, moisturising and strengthening the hair root all the way to the ends.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – the acetic acid content allows for the removal of product build up without stripping the hair or scalp of natural oils; balances the scalps pH levels; kills bacteria.
- Manuka Honey – is a natural humectant, meaning it attracts moisture; also feeds undernourished hair follicles with antioxidants and nutrients promoting healthier hair growth; has amazing anti-bacterial qualities; conditions and moisturises due to it being a natural emollient.
BASE RECIPE :- DIY Hair Repair Mask
– 1/2 cup of natural (unsweetened) yogurt
– 1 tablespoon of organic virgin coconut oil
– 1 tablespoon of organic extra virgin olive oil
– 1 tablespoon of ACV (raw + mother please!)
– 1 tablespoon of raw organic manuka honey
– Melt down the coconut oil if it is solid, allow it to come to room temperature.
– Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl until smooth.
– Refrigerate for 15min (this step is optional, however I like the feeling of cool product on my scalp .. it’s refreshing)
– Coat all of your hair including your scalp, massage for 2-3minutes and allow for it to sit for a minimum of 15minutes and up to an hour. Chuck on a showercap and watch an episodes of GoT, or The Walking Dead, or Santa Clarita Diet.
– rinse with lukewarm/cool water and follow with a very light shampoo making sure that you remove all the product from your hair and scalp.
– don’t like coconut oil ? don’t have coconut oil ? = completely swap it for EVOO
– don’t have manuka honey ? = any raw honey will do
– have some essential oils ? YES ! There are essential oils for treating specific hair problems like dandruff, premature graying or hair loss. They can also improve blood circulation in the scalp and promote hair growth by stimulating the hair follicles, plus they add a beautiful natural botanical scent! Some of my favourite essential oil add-ins are mandarin, lavendar, cedarwood, eucalyptus, peppermint and rosemary. 3 drops is plenty!!