Not only is this recipe kid-approved, but it’s also man-approved. A quick an easy mid-week meal using poached chicken and Asian broth! Packed with veggies and the nutritional benefits of homemade stock, this quick and easy weeknight meal is perfect for busy weeks and long days. Plus.. who doesn’t love a noodle?
– 1L of chicken or vegetable stock – I used the broth leftover from the chicken I poached during the week
– 2 cooked chicken breasts, sliced thinly – I used the meat poached from the chicken, but BBQ chicken meat is fine too!
– 2 packs of udon noodles, cooked as per instructions
– a knob of ginger, sliced finely
– dash of salt-reduced soy sauce or tamari
– 1 bunch of baby bok choy, washed
– asian mushrooms *totally optional
– snowpeas, sugar-snap peas or green beans
– toasted sesame oil
– chilli oil *optional – you can keep it light and fresh without the chilli oil, but I add it to nearly everything so without it, for me, it’s incomplete 🙂
1. In a small pot, add ginger, stock, soy sauce and your asian mushrooms. Allow it all to come to a gentle rolling boil for 5-10minutes, allowing the ginger to soften slightly. Season accordingly.
2. Throw in your green veggies, and remove from the heat and allow to stand for 3-4minutes.
3. In a soup bowl, add a couple of drops of sesame oil. Place your noodles in the bowl, with some of your chicken on top. Pour over your hot soupy broth, and add your cooked vegetables.
4. Add a little chilli oil and enjoy.
– Serves 4. You could easily swap the chicken for fish, or tofu. As for the vegetable selection – that’s completely up to you, likewise with the noodles – thick rice noodles would be nice !